Marinated Manchego Tapas
Cubes of Spanish Manchego cheese is marinated in a mixture of hot peppers, olive oil, and herbs in this easy manchego tapas recipe.
Servings 10 servings
- 10 oz manchego cheese
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 dried ancho chili, torn into pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 strips orange zest, each about 1/2 inch wide and 2-3 inches long
Cut the manchego into 1/2 inch cubes and put it in a sealable container.
Heat the olive oil until shimmery over medium heat. Add the thyme, rosemary, dried pepper, garlic, and orange zest. Cook for 3 minutes. Then remove from heat and let the oil cool to room temperature.
Pour the oil mixture over the cheese, give it a stir, and let marinate at least 8 hours and up to 3 days.
- The olive oil is great on its own as an addition to recipes or a dip for bread.
- I shook the seeds out of the pepper used since I wanted spice but just a little. If you like more spice, you can keep the seeds or use a spicier pepper.
- Calories are, as always, a rough estimate. If you scoop out the cheese, leaving most of the olive oil behind, you will dispose of 3/4 cup of olive while eating about 1/4 cup.