Grilled Eggplant and Halloumi Sandwich
Thick slices of eggplant and halloumi are grilled up and slathered with tapenade mayonnaise in this open faced grilled eggplant sandwich.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 inch large eggplant cut into about 12 1/2 slices, or 2 small
- 4 slices thick of crusty artisanal bread
- 8 oz halloumi cheese cut into 8 slices
- 1 leaves bunch fresh basil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts optional
- 1 recipe Tapenade Mayonnaise
Preheat the grill or heat a grill pan on medium.
Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and grill, covered, on medium heat until tender and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer the eggplant to a serving platter. Then brush the bread with olive oil and lay it on the grill. Grill on both sides until you have nice grill marks on the bread, 1-2 minutes per side. Lastly, grill the halloumi until it's browned and a bit soft in the middle, 30-45 seconds per side.
Lay a slice of bread on a cutting board. Spread with tapenade mayonnaise. Layer on basil, eggplant, and halloumi. Add some more tapenade mayo on top if you wish. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Cut the sandwich in half and transfer to a plate. Repeat for the remaining sandwiches.
- Some brands of halloumi are softer and more difficult to grill than others. You can test if the cheese is easily grillable by putting one slice on to see how it does.
- However, a grill pan is a great way to get the halloumi really brown and soft for the sandwiches. If you are looking for a nice, brown crust on the cheese, skip the grill entirely and use the pan instead.
- For the grill pan the times are about the same as for the grill, though you may need to cook the ingredients in batches depending on the size of your pan.
- Tapenade Mayonnaise