Mango, Cucumber, and Brown Rice Salad
A refreshing sweet and crisp grain based salad combining the sweetness of mango, the crunch of cucumber, and the sharpness of scallions.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, such as basmati, texmati, or jasmine
- 2 mangoes, peeled and chopped 1/2 inch dice
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped 1/2 dice, peeled if necessary
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Rinse rice in cold water and drain.
Cook rice according to package directions, adding 1/4 tsp kosher salt to water.
When rice is done, remove it from the heat and scoop into a large bowl, fluffing and spreading it out a bit to cool, about 10 minutes.
The rice will still be warm, but now is the time to add the dressing. Mix all dressing ingredients and toss with rice to coat.
Cool rice another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally so it cools evenly. Then add in mangoes, cucumber, scallions, and parsley. Toss to mix thoroughly and serve.
- Inspiration: Adapted from Basmati Rice Salad with Mango and Cucumber in Fine Cooking.
- Rinsing the rice: This is an important step since it removes some of outer starch and keeps the rice from sticking when you toss with the dressing!