Apple Cranberry Crisp with Oatmeal Topping
For an easy and healthy dessert, bake my favorite apple cranberry crisp with fresh cranberries and oatmeal topping! Easier than a pie and great for holidays and parties.
Servings 8 servings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup, 2 oz) butter, softened
Apple Cranberry Filling
- 2 1/2 lbs (6-7 medium) apples
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Measure the flour, oats, and brown sugar into a medium bowl. Add the spices and salt and stir to combine.
Add the soft butter and work the topping with your fingers until the butter is mixed in and the topping is crumbly.
Put the topping into the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Apple Cranberry Crisp
Preheat the oven to 350F. Pull out either a 9x9 square baking dish or a 9x13 oval baking dish.
Peel, core, and chop the apples. Toss the apples with the cranberries in a bowl.
Add the cornstarch and cinnamon and mix well. Pour the filling into the baking dish.
Crumble the oatmeal topping over the filling.
Bake the crisp for 50-60 minutes, or until the topping is browned and the fruit is bubbling.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
- Oats: Though I prefer the chew and texture of old-fashioned oats, you can use quick oats in a pinch.
- Sweetness: As there is no sugar in the filling, you may want some ice cream on hand for those who prefer a sweeter crisp.
- Apples: While you can use all of the same type of apple, it's nice to use a few varieties to provide a range of textures and flavor.
- Spices: Feel free to change up the spices to your taste. You can just use cinnamon or use apple pie spice or add other warm spices you enjoy.
- Gluten Free: Use the gf crumble topping from my blueberry crisp.