Spicy Italian Sub Panini
This spicy Italian panini is everything you love about Italian sub sandwiches in a toasted, melty, panini! Spicy peppers, gooey cheese, and yummy deli meats. Great for lunch or an easy dinner.
Servings 1 sandwich
- 2 slices hearty bread, such as a rustic dinner bread or ciabatta
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1-2 oz Italian cheese, see note
- 1-2 oz Italian deli meats, see note
- sliced pickled hot peppers, see note
- olive oil
- 2-3 slices tomato
- shredded lettuce
- optional toppings: onion, sweet peppers, olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano
Lay out all your fillings.
Begin heating your sandwich press or grill pan with a weight.
Spread a thin coat of mayonnaise on two slices of bread.
Layer on the cheese, deli meats, and hot peppers. Close the sandwich and brush the outside of the bread with a little olive oil.
Put it onto your sandwich press and grill until the outside is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Open up the panini (carefully since it's hot) and add your desired toppings. Slice in half and serve.
- Italian Deli Meats: You can use a combination of salami, pepperoni, prosciutto, coppa, sopressata, smoked ham, and/or mortadella.
- Italian Cheeses: Provolone, fontina, and fresh mozzarella are all great choices, either sliced thinly or shredded.
- Hot Peppers: Depending on your spice tolerance, you can use cherry peppers, banana peppers, or jalapenos.
- Grill Pan: I have a Calphalon panini grill pan which I've had and used for several years now.