Quick Italian Meat Sauce
You'll love my easy and quick Italian meat sauce! This homemade recipe featuring canned tomatoes and ground beef is perfect over spaghetti, pasta, or zoodles and is a great weeknight dinner.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp anchovy paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 28-oz cans (or boxes) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- optional extras: fresh sliced basil, shredded parmesan cheese
In a large, high sided skillet or medium sized pot on medium heat, saute the ground meat until mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and salt and continue sauteing for 1-2 minutes.
Push the meat aside and add the tomato paste and anchovy. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
Add wine and bring to a boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes
Pour in tomatoes and stir in oregano. Bring back to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Stir in basil and parmesan if using.
- Tomatoes: I use Pomi boxed chopped tomatoes in the recipe. You can use any chopped tomatoes or switch to crushed or whole (puree or break up the whole tomatoes if using).
- Ground Beef: While I call for beef, turkey, pork, or meatloaf mix are all great variations. Note - if using turkey don't skip the anchovy! It needs the extra umami.
- Pasta: For serving over pasta as shown in the photos, use 1 lb of the pasta of your choice. Once cooked, simmer the pasta with some of the water from the pot and the meat sauce.