Southwestern Black Bean and Brown Rice Salad
For a healthy and easy summer side dish, try my Southwestern brown rice and black bean salad with tomatoes, avocados, cilantro and a spicy lime dressing. It's great warm or cold and both gluten-free and vegan as well.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 servings
Rice Black Bean Salad
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice, such as basmati or jasmine
- 2 14-oz cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and blotted dry
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 scallions, sliced
- 2 tbsp lime juice, approx. one lime
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chipotle powder, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated
Cook the rice on the stovetop or in a rice cooker according to the package directions.
Prepare the black beans, tomatoes, avocado,cilantro, and scallions.
Mix together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, spices, and garlic for the lime dressing.
Add all the salad ingredients to a large serving bowl. Pour the dressing over and toss to combine.
Taste the salad and adjust the seasonings: add more spice, salt, or lime juice as needed. Serve the salad warm or cold, depending on your preferences.
- Spice: The amount of spice is up to you. Start with a little if you're not sure then taste and add more until you are happy.
- Additions: Great additions to the salad include fresh corn kernels cut off the cob, diced bell peppers, diced red onion, or diced mango.
- Rice: I use either brown basmati or brown jasmine rice (depending on what I find at the store). Either rice cooks up into individual grains which fluff up in the salad quite nicely.
- Rice Cooker: I recommend either using a rice cooker or a multicooker (such as the Instant Pot) to cook the rice.