Italian Orange, Radicchio, and Pecan Salad
Looking for a healthy and fresh winter salad? Try an Italian orange salad full of sliced cara cara oranges, bitter radicchio, and toasted pecans all tossed with a lemony honey mustard dressing.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 4 salads
- 4 cara cara oranges, or navel oranges
- 1 cup thinly sliced radicchio
- 1/2 cup toasted whole pecans
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced shallots
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey, or 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Cut the ends off of each orange and then slice the peel off, removing all the peel and pith. Then slice the oranges into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick 'wagon wheel' shapes.
Gently mix together the orange slices and radicchio and arrange them on a platter. Scatter the pecans, shallot slices, and basil slices over the top.
Whisk together (or shake together) the dressing ingredients until they are combined and the dressing is thick. Drizzle the dressing over the top of the salad. Reserve any extra dressing in a bowl for people to add as needed.
- I used all Cara Cara oranges, but you can use a mix of citrus. Combine navel, cara cara, blood oranges, and/or any other orange varieties you have available.
- To toast the pecans bake them in a 350F oven for 5 minutes.