Spanish Potato and Chorizo Soup
Spicy, creamy, and full of flavor! My Spanish potato and chorizo soup is simple to prepare and makes a satisfying and healthy dinner. Perfect for nights when you want dinner without any fuss.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 8 oz chorizo, diced
- 1 large white onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock, low or no sodium
- 3-4 medium yellow potatoes, peeled, quartered, and sliced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Heat a large pot and add the bacon. Cook on medium-low until crisp and the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon to a plate.
Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
Add the chorizo and increase the heat to medium high. Cook, stirring frequently, until the chorizo is browned.
Reduce the heat to low and add the onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the onion is soft and a little browned around the edges.
Add the garlic and tomato paste. Cooke for 1 minute.
Add the smoked paprika, paprika, and cayenne. Cook for 20-30 seconds.
Pour in the chicken stock. Add the potatoes and return the bacon to the pot.
Increase the heat and bring the soup to a boil. Then lower the heat so that the soup is simmering. Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes. The potatoes will be soft and and tender.
Add the cream and stir in. Taste the soup and add salt, pepper, and more cayenne to taste.
Stir in the parsley and serve.
- Chorizo: Use linguica if you prefer a sweet sausage instead of a spicy one. Also note that I used a cured chorizo (Gaspar Chourico). If you use a fresh chorizo you will have different results.
- Variations/Substitutions: See post above for several variation ideas.
- Cream: The cream is optional but very tasty in the soup. You can skip entirely or sub in sour cream/plain yogurt/creme fraiche.
- Bacon: If you prefer a crispy bacon topping, don't add the bacon with the potatoes but reserve it for the table.