Homemade Butterscotch Sauce
Learn how to make the best homemade butterscotch sauce! This easy dessert sauce needs only a few minutes and a few ingredients for delicious old fashioned flavor! Use on ice cream, over cake, in buttercream frosting, and more.
Servings 12 tablespoons
- 4 tbsp (2 oz) unsalted butter,
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar,
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Melt butter in a sauce pan on medium heat.
Add brown sugar and whisk to mix it into the butter. Then add the cream and bring the sauce to a boil whisking until the sauce is smooth.
Keep the sauce at a light boil for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally, reducing the heat on the burner if needed.
Remove the pan from the heat. Add the salt and vanilla. Taste and add more of either if you want to pump up the flavor a bit more.
Let the sauce cool to room temperature and enjoy.
- Inspiration: Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen - Ridiculously Easy Butterscotch Sauce.
- Brown Sugar: You can use either light or dark brown sugar in the recipe.
- Cooking the Sauce: The sauce will bubble vigorously and the bubbles will stack a bit but be careful not to let them get too much or too high or you may burn the sauce.
- Uses: I have used the sauce in some recipes such as: Hot Apple Pie Bourbon Cocktails and Apple Crisp Bars. You can use the sauce on ice cream, over cake, in buttercream frosting, in lattes or ice coffees, as a fruit dip and more!
- Storage: Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. When chilled, the sauce is pretty solid so warm it back up in saucepan on medium heat for a few minutes if you need it to be pourable.