Mediterranean Chicken with Olives and Oranges
Easy and quick! This Mediterranean chicken skillet combines tender chicken breast with olives and oranges for a spicy/sweet dinner recipe. Great with roasted potatoes or over rice.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 large oranges, peels cut off and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced basil leaves
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- dash black pepper
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
Lay the chicken breasts flat on your cutting board. Cut them straight down into 1/2 inch slices. Mix together the seasoned flour in a plastic bag. Add the chicken to the flour and toss to coat the chicken evenly.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it's shimmery, add the chicken, browning it on both sides until it's cooked through, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a plate.
Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic, shallots, paprika, and smoked paprika and saute together for 1 minute. Add the cayenne, orange juice, and chicken stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook down the sauce for 3-4 minutes, or until reduced by half. Take the skillet off the heat.
Add the chicken back to the skillet along with the oranges and kalamatas. Toss to coat everything evenly with the sauce. Serve topped with the sliced basil.
- Cutting the chicken straight down into several slices instead of the long way into 2-3 cutlets makes for very tender chicken since you are cutting through the protein fibers.
- If you really like paprika, you may want to add some more to the dish. I often add a bit more to my dish as I'm eating.
- Don't cook the oranges! They get all mushy and sad.
- I used Cara Cara Oranges. Navel oranges or blood oranges (or a mix) would also work well.
- I made Extra Crispy Roasted Potatoes, which were great with the chicken!