Crispy Chicken Parmesan Meatballs Stuffed with Mozzarella
Crispy, mozzarella stuffed and juicy! These chicken parmesan meatballs are full of gooey mozzarella and rolled in breadcrumbs to make a crispy crust. Serve with marinara sauce and pasta.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1 oz shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 8 oz cherry sized mozzarella balls
- olive oil, for sauteing
- spaghetti and marinara sauce, for serving
Preheat oven to 400F.
Mix together the ground chicken, egg, 1 oz parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, garlic, and kosher salt. Once combined, divide the meatball mixture into 12 parts.
Take 12 of the mozzarella balls (you should have about 12 more left over) and put them in a bowl next to the meatball mixture. Then pour the remaining 1/2 cup of bread crumbs into a shallow bowl. Set out a tray or plate to hold the finished meatballs.
Take each piece of meatball mixture and form in into a rough ball then flatten it out and put a mozzarella ball in the middle. Bring the meatball up and around the mozzarella until the mozzarella is sealed in the middle. Now roll the meatball in the bread crumbs until well coated and put the meatball on the tray. Continue until you have 12 meatballs.
Pour enough oil into a 12-inch skillet to make a 1/8th inch deep level over the bottom of the skillet. Heat the skillet over medium heat until the oil starts to get shimmery. Add the meatballs and brown them in the oil on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
Transfer the meatballs to a small casserole dish and put them in the oven for 10 minutes. Slice up the remaining mozzarella and grate a handful of parmesan cheese. Top the meatballs with the mozzarella and parmesan and put them back in the oven for 5 minutes.
Serve the meatballs with spaghetti (12-14 oz should be enough) and marinara sauce.
- We like a lot of marinara with the meatballs. We used the full 7 cup Italian Marinara Sauce recipe for the meatballs and pasta.
- Have the marinara sauce and pasta ready before the meatballs come out of the oven so you can serve them while the mozzarella is still hot and gooey.
- I prefer ground chicken to ground chicken breast. The leaner ground chicken breast makes for a less juicy meatball.
- When you are making the meatballs have everything set out. This makes stuffing and rolling them to be a quick process.