Creamy Italian Sausage and Chickpea Soup
This hearty, creamy Italian sausage soup with broccolini and chickpeas is quick and easy comfort food which cooks up in one pot on the stove top.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cups low or no sodium chicken stock
- 10-12 oz sweet Italian sausage, or a mix of sweet and hot
- 1/4 cup bourbon, or brandy
- 2 15-oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano, or 2 tsp fresh
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme, or 1 tsp fresh
- 1 bunch broccolini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and salt. Cook over low heat until the the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
Transfer the vegetables to a blender with the chicken stock. Blend until fully pureed.
Heat up the pot to medium. Add the Italian sausage, breaking it up into small pieces. Saute until the sausage is browned and has lost its pink color.
Add the bourbon and deglaze.
Stir in the chickpeas, oregano, and thyme. Then pour in the pureed stock. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and keep at simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the broccolini and cook until crisp/tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cream.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
- Broccolini: You can substitute broccoli or broccoli rabe for the broccolini. Cut into bite-sized pieces and add when the recipe calls for the broccolini.
- Pureeing the vegetables: This makes the stock very thick and rich and is a great way to thicken the soup without using flour.