Blood Orange Bourbon Smash
Blood oranges give this Bourbon Smash a gorgeous ruby color. Maple syrup provides a bit of sweetness while lime and mint give the drink an extra pop of flavor.
Servings 2 drinks
- 4 mint leaves
- 3 oz bourbon
- 3 oz blood orange juice, from 2-3 blood oranges
- 1 oz maple syrup
- 8 drops Angostura bitters
- crushed ice
- 2 lime wedges
- 4 oz soda water, optional
In a cocktail shaker, muddle mint leaves.
Then add some ice cubes, bourbon, blood orange juice, maple syrup, and bitters. Shake well.
Fill two glasses half way with crushed ice.
Divide the bourbon mixture between them.
Squeeze a lime wedge into each glass. Top with soda water if desired.
- Soda Water: The drink without the soda water has a very smooth, sippable flavor. With the soda water, I find it's more like a cooler. Zippy and lighter in flavor. Which you choose is up to you.
- Garnish: To make it extra special drop the lime wedge into the glass and add a slice of blood orange floating on top of the drink.