Grain salads are great dishes to bring to a potluck, serve at a bbq, or have as part of a weeknight dinner! This brown rice and black bean salad with its spicy lime dressing is the perfect addition to any table.
I don’t know about you, but this summer I’ve been all about low effort dinners which don’t heat up the house. And if that dinner has the bonus of being one of my daughter’s absolute favorite things to eat ever, well I’m going to be making it a lot! (And this favorite is healthy with actual vegetables and fiber. She’s fourteen. She thinks she can live on ice cream and pasta. 😉 )
Which is another way of saying this rice and bean salad full of Southwestern/Spanish flavors has been on our dinner table regularly in the last couple of months.
What do you need?
- Brown Rice – About 1 cup will do.
- Black Beans – Use canned for ease or dry if you have the time.
- Veggies – Such as tomatoes, avocado, corn, peppers…
- Fresh Herbs – Cilantro and green onions
- Dressing – Make a spicy lime dressing to bring it all together!
How to make this
To make rice and black bean salad cook your rice until done then mix with black beans, tomatoes, avocados, scallions, and cilantro. Pour in a spicy lime dressing and toss to combine.
To lay it out, here are the steps:
- Make rice – rice cooker, multicooker, stovetop. It’s up to you!
- Drain and rinse some black beans.
- Chop all your veggies.
- Mix the dressing.
- Toss it all together.
- Eat. Yum!
If you try my recipe for Rice and Black Bean Salad, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
Southwestern Black Bean and Brown Rice Salad
Rice Black Bean Salad
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice, such as basmati or jasmine
- 2 14-oz cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and blotted dry
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 scallions, sliced
- 2 tbsp lime juice, approx. one lime
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chipotle powder, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated
- Cook the rice on the stovetop or in a rice cooker according to the package directions.
- Prepare the black beans, tomatoes, avocado,cilantro, and scallions.
- Mix together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, spices, and garlic for the lime dressing.
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large serving bowl. Pour the dressing over and toss to combine.
- Taste the salad and adjust the seasonings: add more spice, salt, or lime juice as needed. Serve the salad warm or cold, depending on your preferences.
- Spice: The amount of spice is up to you. Start with a little if you're not sure then taste and add more until you are happy.
- Additions: Great additions to the salad include fresh corn kernels cut off the cob, diced bell peppers, diced red onion, or diced mango.
- Rice: I use either brown basmati or brown jasmine (depending on what I find at the store). Either cooks up into individual grains which fluff up in the salad quite nicely.
- Rice Cooker: I recommend either using a rice cooker or a multicooker (such as the Instant Pot).