Tender fish, a smoky/spicy tomato sauce, and just one pot to clean! My slow roasted cod is a great weeknight meal you can put on the table in less than an hour. Just add some crusty bread to dip into the sauce.
Like a lot of people, I’m always looking for ways to make meals which are healthy, packed with flavor, and easy for clean up. And if I don’t have to be fussing over it while dinner is cooking so much the better!
Enter slow roasting. (or slow baking/cooking – basically any time I can pop food in the oven on low heat and not worry about it for a bit.)
I love it when cooking beans, for making all sorts of roasts (like lamb or pork) and it’s surprisingly great for fish as well. Fish is something we think of cooking quickly, but there is something to be said for gently bringing it up to heat. And let’s face it – it’s still quick. 🙂 Thirty minutes in the oven is still super fast. With no fussing.
What do you need?
- Cod – Or a similar thick cut white fish such as haddock. Just make sure it’s at least 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Chopped Tomatoes – I use Italian style boxed tomatoes since they break down easily into the sauce, but any chopped tomato will work.
- White Wine – A little brightness to balance the heavier flavors in the sauce. You can switch to chicken stock with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Onion/Garlic – Make sure they are thinly sliced and they’ll melt into the sauce.
- Spices – Paprika, smoked paprika, and chipotle make for a nice balance of sweet, spicy, and smoky.
- Olive Oil – Cod is very lean so a little olive oil provides just enough richness to the recipe.
- Broccoli – You can of course make this without the veggies and serve something separately but broccoli cooks up beautifully with the fish for a one pot meal.
How to make this
To make slow roasted cod combine fish and all other ingredients in a casserole dish and bake in low oven for about 30 minutes.
That’s basically it! A little chopping and a little stirring and into the oven it goes. Just make sure you cut the broccoli thin so it can cook through.
If you try my recipe, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Stay Safe, Annemarie
Slow Roasted Cod in Smoky Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 lb thick cut cod loin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 lb broccoli, cut thinly into florets
- Move a rack to the center position and heat oven to 350F.
- Sprinkle cod on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large casserole dish mix together the onion, garlic, olive oil, wine, tomatoes, and spices.
- Nestle cod into the center of the dish and then arrange broccoli around.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cod reaches 130F on a thermometer.