There is nothing like a pot of stew on a cold winter’s day! And I especially love this version with shrimp and chorizo for weeknight meals. Fast, flavorful, and fabulous – everything you could want.
To continue my posts of quick and easy dinners you can put on the table NOW, here is a Spanish inspired stew full of hot spice, paprika, tomatoes, and fresh herbs. Just make a batch of rice or slice up some bread and dinner is sorted.
What do you need?
- Meat – Chorizo and shrimp. Any chorizo, spicy or mild, and any larger peeled shrimp.
- Garlic/Onion – One white onion and a few cloves of garlic.
- Carrots – Two or three cut into sticks. Add more if you want or switch them up with other root vegetables.
- Spices – I use smoked paprika and chipotle.
- Stew Base – Some stock and chopped tomatoes.
- Garnishes – Chopped cilantro and sliced scallions finish off the stew.
How to make this
To make shrimp and chorizo stew, start by sauteing the ingredients, then add the stock and tomatoes and simmer. Finish by stirring in the shrimp and cooking it through. Serve topped with cilantro and scallions.
This recipe follows the same routine of pretty much every stew you’ve ever made, with each part of the recipe building flavor and creating a harmonious whole.
- Saute the sausage.
- Saute the onion/garlic/carrots.
- Add the spices.
- Add the liquids and simmer.
- Stir in the shrimp.
- Ladle into bowls and add toppings.
If you try my recipe for Shrimp and Chorizo Stew, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Stay Safe, Annemarie
Shrimp and Chorizo Stew
- 8 oz chorizo, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into thick matchsticks
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 medium scallions, sliced
- In a large pot over medium high heat, saute the chorizo until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots, and salt to the pot. Reduce heat to low and saute until soft, 6-8 minutes.
- Add paprika and chipotle. Stir and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and stock, then return the chorizo to the pot. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add shrimp and simmer in the stew until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro and scallions.
- Serving: This stew is great with some steamed rice. I like to use 2 cups cooked brown basmati.
- Chorizo: You can use crumbled or diced as well.
- Toppings: Other ideas are parsley, finely diced red onion, diced jalapenos, and sour cream.