Dark and rich maple syrup, tangy citrus-y lime juice, and a good amount of smooth whiskey. You’ll love sipping this maple bourbon sour! Perfectly balanced, great for drinking by the fire or on a hot summer’s day, and takes just 5 minutes to shake one up. What are you waiting for?
I have to admit that testing cocktails is one of my favorite things about this job. (And probably number one for my husband! 😉 ) So, as soon as I took the photos of my frozen mango daiquiri, I thought ‘I need to develop a fall cocktail!!’
It didn’t take me long to settle on a bourbon drink, as I love it and I especially love it in the cooler months of the year, but what to make?
That’s when I remembered a wonderful maple lime daiquiri I had a while back while out to eat. It was sweet, but not too sweet, sour in the just the right amount, and I realized it would be a great way to twist the classic bourbon sour just a little.
And do you know what else is amazing about the maple/lime combination? It tastes like apples! 🍎🍏
Honestly. You get a hint of tart apple as you sip the drink which makes it even better for a fall cocktail. I mean really. It’s like it was meant to be.
What do you need?
- Bourbon – See below for a section on how to pick the right one.
- Maple Syrup – I like a dark syrup, but just make sure it is 100% maple.
- Lime – I find 1/2 a lime for a drink is just right.
- Bitters – These last a long time and are well worth buying!
How to make this
To make a maple bourbon sour mix together bourbon with lime juice, maple syrup, and bitters. Shake with ice, then pour into an ice filled glass.
- Pour in 1 1/2 ounces of bourbon.
- Pour in 1/2 ounce of maple syrup.
- Squeeze in 1/2 ounce of lime juice.
- Add a couple of drops of bitters.
- Shake with ice and strain into a glass.
Though I love a fancy craft cocktail as much as anyone (and more than some!), this drink uses all easy to find ingredients which you probably already have in your pantry/fridge and is a perfect recipe to make when you want some thing both simple and satisfying.
If you try my recipe for a Maple Lime Bourbon Sour, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Happy Drinking, Annemarie
Maple Lime Bourbon Sour
- 1 1/2 oz bourbon
- 1/2 oz maple syrup
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1-2 drops angostura bitters
- Add bourbon, maple syrup, lime, and bitters to a shaker filled with ice. Shake until the drink is well mixed and cold.
- Pour into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Garnish with a slice a lime if desired.