Creamy, simple, and on the table in no time flat! I love this recipe for lemon ricotta pasta when I need an easy weeknight dinner. Cook the fettuccine, toss everything together, and done. Dinner is served.
This is a meal I started making back in the beginning of the year while we were on lockdown and staying home all the time. A few fresh herbs from my pots, a container of ricotta, and some pasta from the pantry and I was set for dinner.
The name of the game for when I could hardly go to the store was dinner had to either be very simple or very flexible. I did a roundup on pantry meals with substitution ideas while also posting a lot of simple meals like this one.
But you don’t have to be on lockdown and avoiding people to enjoy this creamy, comforting dish! All you need to be is hungry. 😉
What do you need?
- Pasta – One pound of fettuccine.
- Ricotta – Use a fresh, whole milk cheese and if you can find one without any stabilizers or gums even better.
- Herbs/Spices – Fresh basil and milk along with garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Lemon – About one lemons worth, which is enough to give it some zing.
- Olive Oil – Extra virgin! This mixes with the cheese and water from the pot to make the sauce.
How to make this
To make lemon and herb ricotta pasta first mix together the cheese with red pepper flakes, lemon, olive oil, and garlic. Then cook the fettuccine and toss the pasta with the sauce and fresh basil.
This is very simple!
- Mix together the cheese, olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Cook the fettuccine and keep about a cup of the water when you drain it.
- Add the hot pasta and water to the bowl with the cheese sauce.
- Stir in herbs and eat. Done!
Tip: I like to scoop out extra water so that I can adjust the creaminess of the sauce once everything is mixed together.
If you try my recipe for Lemon and Herb Ricotta Pasta, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Stay Safe, Annemarie
Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Fresh Herbs
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or shredded
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 12 oz fettuccine, or other pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, ricotta, garlic, and red pepper flakes together.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until done. Scoop out ~1 cup of the water and drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta and water to the bowl with the ricotta. Toss together.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs over and mix in. Serve.
- Pasta: I like fettuccine in this recipe, but any variety you have on hand will be great.
- Ricotta: For the creamiest sauce buy one without any gums or stabilizers. (Note that the dish will tasty either way!)