One of my favorite go-to simple meals is a quick soup and this recipe for Italian sausage tortellini soup definitely fits the bill! A few minutes prep work, a little sauteing and simmering, and dinner is on the table.
Quick, easy, full of ingredients you can store in your freezer and pantry. These are the sort of recipes we need right now! Comfort food for when you aren’t getting out much. Am I right?
Of course I am! I have piles of comfort food recipes on this site and make cozy dinners all the time. This is something I know. 😉
Recently I’ve shared a pantry friendly broccoli soup, easy buttermilk biscuits, and a super flexible spring pasta. Now it’s time for a family favorite soup with tortellini, Italian sausage, and marinara sauce.
Basically, we’re working with a bunch of ingredients which are recipes of their own, each bringing extra fun and flavor to the table and that makes for a soup I really love and I know you will too.
What do you need?
- Tortellini – I like a mild cheese blend but pick whatever filling you enjoy with sausage and tomato sauce!
- Italian Sausage – The bulk packaged sausage is the best choice here so you don’t need to deal with casings.
- Marinara Sauce – You can make your own or buy your favorite jarred sauce. Just don’t use plain chopped or ground tomatoes. It’s not the same.
- Chicken Stock/White Wine – The rest of the liquid for the soup.
- Onion/Garlic – For a great base of flavor!
- Other Spices – Red pepper flakes and oregano.
- Pesto – A couple of spoonfuls makes all the difference.
How to make this
To make Italian sausage and tortellini soup first saute sausage, onion, and garlic. Then add tomato sauce, stock, and spices. Let simmer and add tortellini. Once the pasta is cooked through mix in some pesto and serve.
Let’s run through the three simple sections of the recipe.
First – saute.
Saute and brown the sausage then add the onion and garlic and continue sauteing until the onion is all tender.
Second – simmer.
Now you are going to add your liquids – white wine, marinara, and chicken stock. (Along with some spices.) Mix everything in and simmer to bring all the flavors together.
Third – pasta.
Add the pasta to the party and cook it through. All done! Stir in some pesto, ladle into bowls, and add any garnishes you want. Yum!
If you try my recipe for Sausage Tortellini Soup, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Stay Safe, Annemarie
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium yellow (or white) onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 16-20 oz fresh cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- garnishes: sliced basil, shredded parmesan
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add sausage, breaking it up with the edge of your spoon, and saute until browned and cooked through, 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add onion and garlic along with a sprinkle of kosher salt and continue sauteing until the onion is soft and lightly browned, 5 minutes more.
- Pour in wine. Increase heat to bring to a boil and stir to deglaze. Boil 1-2 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add marinara, stock, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat so that everything is at a low simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tortellini. Cook until tender (this is 4-5 minutes with my package - check your own for timing).
- Take the soup off the heat and stir in pesto. Serve with fresh basil and shredded parmesan.
- Italian Sausage: You can use hot or a mix of hot and sweet if you prefer more spice in the recipe. Also, I use bulk sausage meat which makes it easy break up when sauteing with no need to worry about casings.
- Frozen Tortellini: You can use frozen instead of fresh. Note that the cooking time may be a few minutes more.
- Marinara: Use your favorite jarred sauce or make homemade. Either is great.