My grilled steak and broccoli salad is a summer grain bowl which won’t heat up your kitchen and can be put together in the time it takes to cook the rice!
Summer is when I can’t get enough grilling. Vegetables, steaks, chicken, fruit, and more! I mean how can you go wrong with more flavor, less clean up, and less heating up the kitchen?
As someone who grills frequently, and someone who doesn’t want things falling through the grates, I LOVE my grill basket. My SIL has the same one, which I used over the Fourth recently to grill up some mixed veggies. It’s the best. Pick one up if you see one, or order it. You won’t regret it.
Now that you have a grill basket (or similar) in hand, let’s talk about this salad!
What do you need?
- Skirt Steak – About a pound. You need a thin steak which is good for grilling.
- Broccoli – I like a lot, so 1 1/2 pounds, all cut thinly for easy cooking.
- Brown Rice – One cup of brown basmati. You can use another whole grain if you wish.
- Dressing – Thick blue cheese dressing + a simple vinaigrette stirred together.
- Add-ons – Optional extras. I went with sliced tomatoes and scallions.
How to make this
To make my grilled steak and broccoli grain bowl first cook up some rice, then grill the steak and broccoli. Combine everything with blue cheese dressing and top with scallions and tomatoes.
This one of those dinners you can pull together without a lot of fuss (in keeping with my desire to share easy dinners with all of you). Basically:
- Make some rice however you like to do it. I use a rice cooker. 🙂
- Toss the broccoli with olive oil and salt then grill, covered, at a moderate heat until you’re happy.
- Put the steak on and grill uncovered on high heat until it’s done. For skirt that means pink, not red!
- Mix together a dressing and cut up the add-ons.
- Put everything in a bowl and eat.
If you try my recipe for Grilled Steak and Broccoli Grain Bowl, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Stay Safe, Annemarie
Grilled Steak and Broccoli Grain Bowl
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 lb broccoli, cut into thin florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
- Cook rice according to package directions in salted water. When done fluff up and let cool a bit. Use the rice either warm or room temperature.
- Heat a grill on high until fully hot. Toss broccoli with olive oil and some salt and spread it out in a grilling basket. Grill covered, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender and somewhat blackened. Adjust the heat to keep the grill at about 400F. Set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle the skirt steak with salt and pepper. Grill on high, uncovered, 5 minutes per side or until ~150F and a bit pink in the middle. Move steak to a cutting board and slice thinly.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients until fully combined.
- Make dinner bowls with rice, broccoli, steak, tomatoes, and scallions. Top with dressing and serve.
- Broccoli: I find that a grill temperature of about 400-450F when covered works well to cook the florets through without burning them.
- Blue Cheese: Use your favorite thick bottled dressing or make your own blue cheese dressing.
- Rice: For a quicker cook time switch to from brown to white.