I think that everyone who makes mashed potatoes has a favorite recipe that they return to again and again. Cream cheese mashed potatoes made with yellow potatoes is my family’s favorite and I think it will be yours as well! Creamy, smooth, buttery, and delicious. This is the only mashed potato recipe you will ever need.
Which isn’t to say I don’t make other mashed potato recipes, since I can never resist the lure of trying something new in the kitchen! There is something to be said, however, for a recipe that you know everyone loves and that you can depend on to be just right every time.
It’s also the recipe I made over and over again when I was trying to figure out how to make Loaded Mashed Potato Waffles.
And failing to make mashed potato waffles every time.
It turns out that my favorite mashed potato recipe for eating does not work for waffles! 🙂 Use some cream and butter for mashed potatoes on their way to waffles. However, we hardly ever have any left over and certainly not enough to justify pulling out the waffle maker, so it’s not an issue around here, and cream cheese mashed potatoes can keep their place of honor at our table.
While you can make the recipe with white potatoes or with russet potatoes, I vastly prefer the yellow potatoes. They have just the right balance of waxiness and flouriness to be creamy, but not heavy. And of course they add their buttery flavor to mix, which I always love!
Next up is the cream cheese. We like to add a fair amount of cream cheese to the recipe, enough to make them smooth and soft and little tangy. Yum!
Last is a little cream. I use heavy cream since I only need to add a little to get the flavor I want. I don’t like soupy mashed potatoes, so cream it is!
For mashing, while I do occasionally use a potato ricer, I usually use my Cuisipro Potato Masher. I love the short handle, which is easy to grip and push down, and the wide base for mashing makes short work of the potatoes. It’s also very study and all metal. I’ve had mine for many years and I wouldn’t part with it.
If you try my recipe for Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch dice
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz heavy cream
- Fill a large pot with water.
- Add potatoes and kosher salt.
- Turn heat to high and bring the pot to a boil. Then lower the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes for 12-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are easily pierced by a fork.
- Drain potatoes and put them back in the pot over the heat. Cook off some of the water in the potatoes, 2-3 minutes over medium while stirring.
- Move the pot to a hot pad on the counter.
- Add cream cheese and cream and mash the potatoes until smooth. If they are a little dry, add another splash (about 1 tablespoon) of cream.
- Taste and add more salt if needed. Serve.
- Cream Cheese Substitution: Feel free to use neufchatel cheese in place of cream cheese in the recipe. The texture and flavor are pretty much the same with either cheese.
- Waffles: Do not use these mashed potatoes to make Mashed Potato Waffles. Cream cheese and waffle makers do not mix.
- Equipment: I have the Cuisipro Potato Masher.