Why make caviar dip or smoked salmon cream cheese dip when you can make a caviar and smoked salmon dip! There is nothing like a little indulgence during the holidays, and smoked salmon with salmon roe? Excellent plan! Indulgent, celebratory, and not too bad on the wallet. As for the flavor? Amazing!
I really love this dip! It’s so easy and it’s a serious crowd pleaser!
You can’t beat that combo.
When I made this recently, my daughter and I polished off a good portion of the dip as soon as I put away my camera. We were like ravenous wolves! It’s smelled so good and we knew how tasty it was, so that the dip didn’t stand a chance. It’s this great combination of creamy cheese, spicy horseradish and scallions, smoky and rich salmon, and the wonderful salty pop of caviar. Pair it with cucumbers (my daughter’s favorite) or crackers and then stand back and watch your guests demolish the platter.
Seriously. I made this for Christmas a couple of years ago and ended up back in the kitchen a few minutes later making more since there was not a speck left! I’m lucky they didn’t lick the bowl. 🙂
This year, since we had already eaten all the smoked salmon cream cheese dip I made, I put together some Red Pepper and Feta Dip along with a bunch of other tasty apps. I do love a great, quick dip for a party!
It used to be that I would have to order salmon roe and other caviar from small online stores or search out a specialty shop and hope they had it. Which, of course, meant I had to plan ahead and already know what I wanted to do it – since I’m not going to order caviar just to have it sit in my fridge and get lost!
Though now that you have this great recipe, if you can’t find salmon roe near you, Salmon Roe Caviar is just a few clicks away these days.
Thankfully, in recent years I’ve noticed that salmon roe has become more available near me, so I’ve been buying it more from time to time, trying different recipes to see what we like and what is easy to make and what is complicated to make but totally worth it. I need to try all the things!
I mean, why not? 🙂
- First, as I mentioned, it’s not very expensive for caviar.
- Second, the color and the flavor are just lovely.
- And, third, I do love trying new recipes and playing with ingredients. Probably why I have a food blog…
– Happy Dipping, Annemarie
For a little more information on salmon roe, here is an ingredient spotlight about it!
Caviar and Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese or neufchatel, room temp
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 medium scallions minced
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 2 oz smoked salmon finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp milk as needed to thin the dip
- 2 oz (50 gm) salmon caviar roe
- Using either a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, whip the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, scallions, and horseradish and mix until combined. Add the salmon and mix in. Mix in one tablespoon of milk and check the consistency. If you want it a little thinner, add another. Once you're happy with the dip, fold in about 3/4 of the caviar and reserve the rest for topping the dip.
- Serve the dip with crackers, cucumber slices, or toast points. The dip can be served immediately or can be held in the refrigerator for up to one day.
I prefer to use wild Alaskan salmon. I find the flavor and the color to be the best around.
Some extra minced scallions and smoked salmon sprinkled over the top of the dip is nice too.