Have a pile of hard-boiled eggs that you need to eat? Perhaps brightly colored ones? Just a theory! Or maybe you just enjoy having eggs for lunch and are looking for a low-carb, gluten-free option? Well then, egg salad lettuce wraps will solve all your problems!
My favorite version of egg salad is wrapped in tender lettuce leaves and given a nutritional boost from the avocados and vegetable toppings. Yum!
Less than a week until Easter is here!
I posted a great round-up of excellent recipes for the day. The Easter basket and plastic eggs, which will be filled with candy, have been pulled out. And my daughter picked out a cool looking egg coloring kit that promises make the eggs look all golden and shimmery. Later this week I’ll swing by the store and get some white eggs and we’ll make a fun project out of it.
After I posted my yummy and easy Gyro Recipe made from leftover lamb, I thought I should put up a recipe for a those shimmery, colored hard boiled eggs I know I’m going to have sitting my fridge right after Easter.
It’s either find a good recipe for them, or toss them! And I’m not a fan of tossing good food if I can help it. Luckily, egg salad lettuce wraps hit all my needs – no tossing good food, making something healthy with plenty of vegetables, and keeping things simple when I can.
As with any egg salad recipe, this recipe succeeds on the quality of the egg salad.
How to make the best egg salad?
- First, make sure you don’t over or under cook your eggs. Bring them to a boil and then let them sit covered, off the heat until they are cooked through.
- Second, don’t pulverize the eggs. We’re not looking for paste here! For this, I find the simple method is best. One large fork and few minutes of time making sure the whites are sufficiently broken up and you’re good to go.
- And, third, a little mustard. Dry mustard is the secret weapon of egg salad. It makes everything better and counterbalances the richness of the egg yolks and mayonnaise.
Once you have the egg salad, all you need a some cute, bibb lettuce leaves to scoop it into, a ripe avocado, and a few colorful and tasty toppings.
If you try my recipe for Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
Avocado Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps
- 8 large hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 8 lettuce leaves, such as bibb or butter lettuce
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- Peel the eggs.
- Mash them with a large fork until the whites are sufficiently broken up and no large chunks remain.
- Mix in mayonnaise, dry mustard, and salt until combined.
- Lay out the lettuce leaves.
- Place a few slices of avocado into each lettuce leaf.
- Then divide the egg salad among them and top with carrot, chives, and cabbage.