Ready for something new? Looking for some recipe recs from the archives? This is the post for you!
If you are reading this, you have made it through 2020. Though we have more challenges ahead of us, I feel that deserves a celebration and well done for us.
And to kick off the new I decided to start a (monthly? we’ll see!) post talking about some of things that are making me happy right now. Recipes I’m working on, recipes I’ve already posted you REALLY need to try, maybe ones posted elsewhere that I’m giving a thumbs up to, things I’ve bought, songs I enjoy, and so on. It’ll be a mix that I’ll change up with my mood each month.
Since I’m just getting this started, I’ll keep things short this month.
I don’t have 5 recent home improvements, but being stuck here for the past year (almost!) has definitely gotten us to look around and see what we can make better. We’ve done a bunch of small things and a few big things.
So what did we do?
- Fire Pit – After we took down daughter’s old swingset (end of an era 🙁 ), we had a beautiful spot in the back which was perfect for a fire pit. It was fun watching them dig it all out and put in the grading and stones. Many s’mores and other food on sticks are in our future. Maybe I should do a ‘make your own kebab’ post this summer with ideas and menus?
- Upstairs Bathroom Refresh – This is my bathroom of the two upstairs (daughter shares between us and uses whichever she wants) and NEEDED a paint job badly. Now it’s a beautiful turquoise with all new fixtures and new mirror.
- Back Hall/Bathroom Refresh – Also long overdue, we are painting this area plum and getting new fixtures/shelves/coat racks and so on. Oooh, if you are in the market for a coat rack, we are very happy with Peg and Rail. Lots of woods and finishes and he will do custom lengths. We have three of them all in lovely natural cherry with sturdy hooks.
5 Recipes to Make in January
When I think of what to eat in January, I think about cozy foods you can enjoy when the weather is terrible and cold. And, even more than that, I think that this year is all soup. Are you with me? Soup and some crusty bread and warm fire. That’s what we need!
- Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup – So simple! So good!
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup – Pantry meal perfect for winter.
- Cauliflower Blue Cheese Soup – Don’t skip the truffle oil!
- Classic Potato Leek Soup – Get out your Instant Pot and make dinner.
- Smoky Bacon Cheese Soup – When you want rich, comforting, and creamy this soup is everything.
5 Things I’m Working On
So, what am I doing in the kitchen? Though this pandemic has even me saying ‘ugh I don’t want to cook any more!’ I do pull myself together and get hyped up to try new recipes. Take out night really helps there. 😉
- Baguettes! I am determined to make a perfect baguette in a regular oven and I’m close. Plan on getting a roasting pan large enough to fit over your sheet pan.
- Simple Dinners. I’ve been both working on new ones and also finally photographing some of the old favorite super easy dinners I make for the family. One Pot Mac and Cheese. Bean Burgers. Easy Pasta.
- New Fish. I don’t make enough fish here and I have two new recipes I love which you will see soon – one for halibut and the other for cod.
- Gnocchi. I love them, but don’t make them often so I’ve been digging and making batches to get it all worked out. Amounts, timing, sauces. It’ll be awesome.
- Braises. Spicy Short Ribs, Creamy Pork and Bacon Stew, Slow Cooker Pulled Pork. The two pork dishes are ready for their photos and one more go around on the ribs should have them perfect as well.
– Stay Safe, Annemarie