Creamy Cauliflower Blue Cheese Soup with Truffle Oil
This smooth and creamy cauliflower soup is swirled with blue cheese and topped with truffle oil for great comfort food on a chilly day!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, white and light green, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium (~1 lb) head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock, low or no sodium
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2-3 oz blue cheese
- kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
- crispy fried shallots
- crumbled blue cheese
- truffle oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, basil, thyme, or chives
Melt the butter on low in a large pot. Add the leeks and a sprinkle of kosher salt and saute for 5-6 minutes, until soft and starting to brown. Add garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
Whisk in the flour and combine it well with the butter. Cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and cauliflower. Bring to a boil on high, then reduce the heat back to low and simmer, covered, for 15-18 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft and completely cooked through.
Puree until smooth. Add the milk and bring back to a simmer. Stir in the blue cheese. Season to taste with kosher salt and white pepper.
Serve with garnishes of your choice.
- Since leeks tend to be fairly sandy, I usually slit them up lengthwise 3 or 4 times in the white area of the leak (with the dark green holding everything together), and then rinse the leeks off that way. If you think there may be more sand that didn't rinse off, put the slices in a colander and give them another rinse before putting them in the pot.
- I usually puree this soup right in the pot with my stick blender. If you are using a regular blender, do it in two batches and then return it to the pot.
- For the shallot garnish: Crispy Fried Shallots
- To make the soup gluten-free, make a slurry of 1 tbsp cornstarch with a few tablespoons of stock or water and add that with the stock.