Grilled Italian Pasta Salad
My Italian pasta salad takes advantage of summer by grilling the vegetables and then tossing them with homemade Italian dressing. Light, fresh, and easy!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 8 oz cherry sized (ciliegine) mozzarella balls
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 12 oz short pasta, such as penne or rotini
- kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium summer squash, sliced
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup halved kalamata olives
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Mix together all the dressing ingredients until well blended.
In a medium bowl, toss the dressing with the mozzarella balls and sliced basil. Set the mozzarella aside to marinate while you make the rest of the salad.
Cook the pasta in well salted water according to package directions. Drain the pasta and toss it with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Let the pasta cool to room temperature.
Heat the grill. Put the grilling basket on the grill and heat until very hot. Toss the summer squash and broccolini with a little bit of olive oil and add them to the grill basket. Grill on high until the vegetables are tender and charred, 7-8 minutes. Cut the vegetables into bite sized pieces.
In a large serving bowl combine the pasta, summer squash, broccolini, cherry tomatoes, and kalamata olives. Pour the mozzarella and Italian dressing over the top and toss to combine.
- When prepping the broccolini, I cut off the ends and grill them whole. If the stems are larger than 1/2 inch in diameter, I slice them in half the long way.
- For the squash, I cut off the ends and slice the squash into long wedges.
- If you can't find cherry sized mozzarella, just buy larger ones and cut them up into smaller pieces.
- Other vegetables are great grilled in this salad, such as red onions, bell peppers, cauliflower, and green beans.
- A grill basket is very important for this recipe to make sure the pieces of vegetable don't fall into the grill.