Fresh Strawberry Sauce with Black Pepper and Cabernet
Strawberry sauce with a twist! Fresh strawberries are simmered in wine and spiced with black pepper for an intense and complex flavor. Great on shortcake, cheesecake, ice cream, pancakes, waffles and more!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 3 cups
- 1 cup Cabernet wine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 lb strawberries, sliced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch kosher salt
In a medium pot, bring the Cabernet, sugar, and 1/8 tsp of the pepper to a boil over medium high heat. Keep the syrup at a good boil and let it cook down for 5 minutes. Add the strawberries, bring the syrup back to a boil and then lower the heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes. Take the syrup off the heat, add the balsamic and a pinch of salt. Taste the syrup and add up to another 1/8 tsp of black pepper.
Serve warm or room temperature over ice cream, pancakes, angel food cake, cheesecake, and more.
- I used a fine grind on my pepper mill which kept the pepper from being too obtrusive. I like the flavor of the pepper in the sauce, but I don't want to chew on it.
- The exact amount of pepper will depend on your tastes and how spicy you like it.
- Oh, and use freshly ground pepper! It makes a lot of difference.