Spicy Roast Pumpkin Soup - Spanish Style
This creamy, spicy roast pumpkin soup is full of Spanish flavors like paprika and roasted red peppers and topped with crispy pancetta.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tbsp sherry
- 1 medium apple peeled and chopped
- 3 cups roast pumpkin
- 2 roasted peeled red peppers
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices thin pancetta or thin sliced bacon
- roasted pumpkin seeds
In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium. Add the salt and onion and saute for 5 minutes, lowering the heat if it starts to brown. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the spices - smoked paprika, paprika, cumin, and cayenne - and saute for 30 seconds.
Pour in the chicken stock and give the soup a good stir. Then add the sherry, apple, pumpkin, and roasted red peppers. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the squash is very soft and falling apart.
While the soup is cooking, saute the slices of pancetta in a skillet until browned and crispy. Set aside.
Puree the soup until smooth, either with a hand blender or in batches in a counter blender. Add the cream and warm the soup through until it's just starting to bubble. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding salt and pepper as needed.
Serve the soup topped with the crispy pancetta and toasted pumpkin seeds.
- This soup is great with leftover roast pumpkin, or other sweet, orange fleshed winter squash. To roast the squash specifically for the soup, cut a pumpkin into chunks, then put them flesh side down into a roasting pan, add 1 cup of water, cover the pan with foil, and roast for about 20 minutes at 425F. Or until the squash is nice and soft.
- I use a KitchenAid Hand Blender.