I love this salad! Edamame are so tasty all on their own, but they are even better when tossed with creamy cheese, acidic tomatoes, toasted corn, and spicy scallions. Add a honey-lime dressing and some fresh basil and you have a salad you’ll want to make again and again.
Just recently our local supermarkets started carrying fresh, ready-to-use edamame in resealable containers. I’ve been buying the frozen ones and keeping them stashed away to add to meals as needed, but I’m really impressed with the flavor and convenience of the fresh ones. Not only are they perfect for salads, but they are awesome as quick snacks. My daughter loves to pour a bunch of them into a bowl and nibble on them as she does her homework in the afternoon. A healthy snack the kids love? Bonus. 🙂 The only downside was that I had to be quite firm that she couldn’t eat the package I bought especially for the post. However, the supermarket is all of three minutes away, so she didn’t have to go without for long before I was back getting more groceries and putting a new container in my cart!
For this salad I decided to pair the edamame with toasted corn. This is one of my favorite ways to use corn kernels in salads and in tacos and in salsas. The toasting caramelizes the sugars in the corn and gives it this great depth of flavor which I love. And it’s a dry toasting, which means you don’t need any oil to get the results, just corn all on its own. Yum!
And I really love the honey-lime dressing I use on the salad. It just takes a moment to whisk it together, but that little bit of honey makes all the difference. You can change up the spice from the ancho powder, depending on what you like and have in the house. I like ancho, since it’s spicy without being too intense, and you get kind of a fruitiness from it along with the spicy flavor. And different cheeses can be subbed in. I’m a fan of havarti and enjoy the soft, creaminess of it, but a mild cheddar or a gouda would also be nice.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 8 oz edamame, cooked and shelled
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 4 oz havarti, cut in ½ inch dice
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ancho chili powder
- Pour the corn kernels into a 10 inch skillet. Cook them over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the corn is lightly toasted, about 15 minutes for frozen kernels. While the corn is toasting, chop up all the salad ingredients.
- In a large bowl, add corn, edamame, tomatoes, scallions, basil, and havarti.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and then pour the dressing over the salad. Toss to combine.