I have another crunchy, healthy and easy snack for you today! Though this time I’m roasting up chickpeas instead of making Sweet & Spicy Sugared Pecans. Like the pecans, this is an addictive and yummy recipe that works as a party snack or as a fun gift for people. Or just as an evening snack if you need something to munch while you’re watching tv.
While the Sugared Pecan recipe takes only 10 minutes, the chickpeas do take longer. However, they are just as easy and require just as little hands-on time from you. Plan on making these when you are going to be around the kitchen for an hour, so you can keep an eye on them and give the baking pan a shake every so often.
I live in an area with a fair number Portuguese-Americans and used to buy a Portuguese brand of dry roasted chickpeas at the store. I tried them that first time out of curiosity and an interest in connecting with the food traditions of my Portuguese side. And then I kept buying them because they were a healthy and tasty snack. However, several years ago my store stopped carrying that brand. Sadness! So the only thing for it was to look up recipes and tinker with the spices, which ended up with more of a Middle Eastern flavor, and make my own. Now I can have roasted chickpeas just the way I want them, whenever I want them. Happiness. 🙂
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
- 2 15-oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked ground paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne or chipotle
- dash garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spread out the chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel. Using a second towel, rub them gently and roll them around until they are thoroughly dry. removing any loose peels you see. If you want, you can peel all the chickpeas. This is not a requirement!
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and spread out the chickpeas into a single layer. Roast the chickpeas for 40 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are roasting, mix together the olive oil, cumin, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl. When the timer goes off, toss the chickpeas with the spices and then put them back on the baking pan. Roast the chickpeas for for 5-8 minutes more. 5 minutes will yield a more crispy chickpea while 8 minutes will get them all the way to crunchy. Taste the chickpeas as you finish roasting them and pull them out when they are as crisp as you want them. Also, be careful you don't go past crunchy to burnt!
- Once they are done, pull them out, toss them with the lemon zest, and let them cool on the pan. Then eat!