Green olive pesto is pesto make even better than the original! Yes, I’ve said it. This is a pesto you’ve got to try. Creamy walnuts, salty olives, plenty of basil and parsley, and enough garlic to give a kick. Yum!
January is ticking along here and we’re having a little winter weather. More rain than anything here (though ice too!), but enough to make me wonder if we’re moving into the ‘regular storms and blizzards’ part of winter. Not my favorite part…
Though I can’t complain about warm fires and warm drinks. 🙂
But that’s all the more reason to stay in, pull out a pile of ingredients, and make delicious food instead. Who’s with me?
Not that you need to wait for winter to make green olive pesto! In fact, I am seriously looking forward to summer, not only for the warmth and lovely weather, but for the ability to walk outside and pick some basil and parsley and whip up a batch of yummy pesto without going to the store. Bonus!
I will totally be making batches of olive pesto. It’s everything I love about pesto. And more. The green olives basically make the pesto turbo charged with flavor and I can’t get enough of it!
Ready to find out how to make this awesome pesto? I know you are! Let’s go…
How do you make green olive pesto?
To make green olive pesto, puree green olives, basil, parsley, garlic, and walnuts in a food processor. Add enough olive oil to make a smooth sauce.
The two sentences up there are pretty much it! This pesto recipe is that easy.
Start with a good handful of pitted green olives, add some toasted walnuts, plenty of parsley and basil, some garlic, and a little lemon juice. Start pureeing and pour in the olive oil until you have smooth and thick sauce.
Once you have the pesto, use it right away or keep it in the fridge for up to one week or in the freezer for up to three months.
How do you use green olive pesto?
You can use this pesto anywhere you would use traditional pesto with great results!
- have this pesto over pasta
- make bruschetta or crostini
- turn the pesto into a dip using Greek yogurt, sour cream, or ricotta
- add it to salad dressing to give it some zing
- toss the pesto with a potato salad
- spread the pesto over a pizza
So many choices!
If you try my recipe for Green Olive Pesto, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
You can connect with me by subscribing to my emails (see the form in the sidebar or below the recipe card), liking my FACEBOOK page, or by following me on PINTEREST.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
Simple Homemade Green Olive Pesto
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and packed down
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- garnishes: chopped olives, basil leaves, toasted walnuts
- Heat oven to 350F. Spread out the walnuts on a baking sheet. Toast them for 5 minutes.
- To the bowl of a food processor add the walnuts, olives, parsley, basil, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Start the processor and pour in the olive oil while it runs. If the sauce is too thick, pour in a couple more tablespoons olive oil.