Quick roasted asparagus with parmesan is one of my favorite sides! Crispy cheese, tender veggies, a drizzle of balsamic, simple cleanup – it’s the perfect way to enjoy spring vegetables.
As soon as spring arrives, I begin thinking about the first asparagus shoots and haunting my local farmer’s market, waiting to find bunches for sale. When that moment arrives, I swoop in and start making everything asparagus.
Roasted Spring Asparagus
It’s not here yet, but I’m ready and waiting with this recipe!
There are a few signs that say ‘spring’ to me, things that I look forward to at the end of every winter. I love things like the little crocuses poking through the ground and making their cheerful flowers, the local turkeys in full regalia trying to impress the ladies (Note: I mean actual turkeys. 🙂 We have a few flocks in the area.), and of course the first sightings of spring produce, like shelling peas and radishes and beets.
As soon as I find it, I toss it with olive oil and pop it in the oven. Roasting caramelizes the asparagus and makes little, crispy edges, while the balsamic gives the recipe a sweet-tart kick that I love, and the parmesan provides a nutty saltiness.
Everything is balanced and all the flavors work in harmony. That’s my idea of a great recipe!
What ingredients do you need?
- Asparagus – obviously! 🙂 For four people I use one bunch of asparagus (which is about 20/25 spears) and for roasting I like to buy medium thick stalks, not real thin ones and not big fat ones. They can roast long enough to get caramelized without taking forever or getting overcooked.
- Olive Oil/Salt – To toss with the veggies.
- Parmesan Cheese – I finely shred it with a microplane, which gives it a fluffy texture and lets it get crispy in the oven.
- Balsamic Vinegar – A little drizzle at the table is all you need.
If you want to play with the recipe a little you can add some fresh herbs (parsley, basil) or some chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans) to the dish. Just add them when you add the parmesan!
How do you make it?
To make roasted asparagus with parmesan, break off the tough ends of the stalks then toss them with olive oil and salt. Roast for a few minutes and add the parmesan. Continue roasting until the vegetables are tender and the parmesan is crispy.
This is a very simple 4-step recipe!
- Break off the ends of the asparagus.
- Toss it with olive oil and roast 6 minutes.
- Add the parmesan and roast 3-4 more minutes.
- Scoop it off the baking sheet, add balsamic, and eat!
If you try my recipe for Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan, I would love to hear from you in the comments with your experience and rating! And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
Oven Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed off
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss asparagus with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt. Spread it out on a baking sheet and put it in the oven. Bake for 6 minutes.
- Top with parmesan and bake for 3-4 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving plate and drizzle with balsamic. If you want, also drizzle with a little more extra virgin olive oil.
- Baking Time: The time is for mid-sized asparagus. If yours is very thin or very thick you will need to reduce or increase the time. For very thin stalks, add the parmesan at the beginning since they will be done in 4-5 minutes. For thick stalks, add another 2 minutes to time, then add the cheese and continue with the recipe.
- Trimming the Stalks: An easy way to trim the asparagus is to simply break off the bottom of each stalk.
First published March 2016. Rewritten, expanded, and rephotographed.