Fast, flavorful, and healthy. These are three words I love! This dinner hits all three of them, from the just slightly blackened roasted broccoli, to the shrimp tossed with cumin and lemon, and then the parsleyed whole wheat couscous which rounds out the meal. And it’s all finished in only 20 minutes. The perfect meal for when you want dinner and you want it now.
I’ve been making this recipe for several years now and it’s one of my favorite ‘sheet pan dinners,’ where most of dinner cooks on a sheet pan all together. Not only are sheet pan dinners usually quick, but they are easy to clean too since a bit of foil or parchment on the sheet pan means you barely have to wash up. This may actually be my favorite part since I truly dislike cleaning the kitchen. Which isn’t great for someone who has chosen to cook for a living, but I couldn’t complain when I was washing after making this dinner. 🙂
And, of course, though I like it with whole wheat couscous, since it’s such a quick starch to make with the dinner, you can use any number of whole grains along with the roasted shrimp and broccoli. Bulgur, brown rice, and quinoa are just some of the grains that can be cooked up and tossed with a little butter and parsley. Just keep an eye on the timing so they are done when it’s time to take the shrimp out the oven! The shrimp is best hot and fresh.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- lemon zest from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 lengthwise wedges
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, plus more for topping
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss broccoli with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Spread out the broccoli on a baking sheet and roast for 5 minutes. Give it a turn and roast for 5 minutes more.
- While the broccoli is roasting, toss the shrimp with the remaining olive oil and salt, and add cumin, garlic, and lemon zest.
Take the broccoli out of the oven and add the shrimp and lemon wedges to the baking pan. Put the pan back in the oven and roast for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until the shrimp is done and broccoli is tender.
- Make the couscous - Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the couscous and cook according to the package directions. (Mine takes 2 minutes on a hot burner and then 5 minutes off the heat.) Once the couscous is done, fluff it up with a spoon and then mix in the parsley and butter. Taste and add some kosher salt if needed.
- Serve shrimp and broccoli with couscous and sprinkle a little more parsley over the top.