The day after I made my super easy Simple Roasted Mixed Vegetables and we enjoyed them for dinner, I needed some lunch. So I whipped up a quick shallot vinaigrette, pulled out the leftover roasted vegetables, sliced some of the leftover meat, and grabbed what ever salad fixings I had on hand. As I ate this yummy salad, I knew I needed to make this again and share it with all of you! It was too tasty to keep to myself.
You’ll see that the recipe I’m giving you is more a formula than a recipe, since this is a recipe for leftovers and I don’t know what exactly you had! Nor do I need to know. Any leftover roast vegetables will do just fine. Carrots, broccoli, brussels sprouts, potatoes, squash – it’s all good in this! Similarly, any leftover roast or grilled meat will be wonderful. Anything from turkey to pork to beef and so on. Just chop up the vegetables as needed and break or slice the meat into salad sized pieces and set it all out with some lettuce and maybe tomatoes or cucumber or sliced fruit. Then tie it all together with the vinaigrette and you have a light dinner or a nice lunch.
I’ll give amounts for each of the categories but what exactly makes up the categories up to you! Like I said, a formula that can work for any number of leftover combos.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1 cup fresh vegetables or fruits, such as tomato, avocado, cucumber, pears, or apples
- 2 cups roasted vegetables
- 1 cup sliced roast meat, such as turkey, beef, or pork
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp mustard
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Arrange all the salad ingredients on a platter.
- Mix together the vinaigrette in a bowl.
- Spoon some of the vinaigrette over the salad, leaving the rest in the bowl to be served at the table as needed.