Today I have for you a yummy and gluten-free chickpea and shrimp fritter recipe. Just look at these crispy, little pillows! They are so light and fluffy and you can make them with shrimp for seafood fritters or with chickpeas for vegan fritters.
Way back when I was writing up my Potato and Chorizo Spanish Tortilla recipe, I had the idea of putting some Spanish shrimp fritters on the site. However, there are so many things to cook and only so many days in the week, meaning it took until now for me to refine my recipe and take the pictures. 🙂 In other words, don’t worry about me running out of inspiration any time soon. I have a dozen other Spanish tapas recipes on my list along with a pile of other recipes just waiting for me to have the time to post them.
As for the fritters, I think (and hope) they were worth the wait!
For this recipe, you will need to have chickpea flour and rice flour. Chickpea flour forms the base of the fritter and gives it a great, earthy flavor from the beans while rice flour makes the fritters especially light and crispy. You could sub in regular flour for the rice flour, but you won’t get the same results. (And then don’t feed the fritters to your gluten-free friends, of course!)
Both flours are wonderful to have on hand for other sorts of fritters, or if you want to experiment with gluten-free baking. Chickpea flour is used a lot in Indian cooking and I know I’m going to try a few recipes from my Indian cookbook using the flour. Rice flour is great for dusting seafood before sauteing it, and I was just reading that it can be used as an addition to Shortbread Cookies to make them exceptionally tender. I’ll have to give that a try! Does anyone have any other ideas for the chickpea or rice flours?
Or you can just make some more Chickpea Shrimp Fritters. I certainly would be happy with another batch in the house.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
Gluten Free Chickpea Shrimp Fritters
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 3 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 8 oz shrimp finely chopped and well dried
- OR 1 cup chickpeas drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup water soda water if you have it for a lighter fritter
- Pour about 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil into a deep sided pot. Heat the oil until it reaches 350F. Keep the burner temperature fairly low since you don't want the oil to heat up too fast.
- Whisk together the chickpea flour, rice flour, baking soda, kosher salt, and paprika.
- Add the shallots, parsley, shrimp OR chickpeas, and water. Mix with a large spoon or silicone spatula until just combined. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Drop the fritters into the batter in heaping tablespoons. Fry for 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown. Don't overcrowd; fry up the fritters in 2-3 batches. When each batch is done, remove it to a towel lined platter to drain.