Plump, spicy shrimp, sweet mangoes, lime juice & fresh jalapenos for zing, and avocado crema to provide that creamy finish. Like many of you, I love tacos! For their flavor combinations, as a way to put a balanced meal on the table, and because they are the best kind of fast food. These easy shrimp mango tacos are no exception.
In addition to loving tacos, I seriously love fresh salsa. Fresh salsas are such a wonderful way to add, not only flavor, but fresh fruits and vegetables to a meal. In the summer I make fresh tomato salsa regularly, and in the winter and spring I turn to other seasonal produce, such as oranges in my Cara Cara Orange Salsa and mangoes in this salsa. Mexican mangoes are just coming into season now. They are quite lovely and tasty, so pick some up when you get the chance and make these tacos. 🙂
One thing I really enjoy about food blogging is that it gives me the opportunity to take a good look at the recipes I make and see if there are small variations (or big ones) that will improve them and make them the best I can. This recipe is no exception. I had a good recipe we were happy with to start from, and then I tinkered, looking at how long to marinate (15 minutes is all it takes), what to do to pump up the flavor of the sauce (cook it down after taking out the shrimp), and best version of the mango salsa to complement the shrimp (fresh jalapeno and red onion, skip the red bell peppers). We had to have shrimp tacos for dinner a few times to get it right, but it was worth it. Next time I get a craving for shrimp tacos, I’ll just pull up my recipe and make dinner.
I do make a few different types of shrimp tacos, like crispy ones and grilled ones, so you’ll be seeing other versions in the future, but I decided to start with these since it’s a little early to have many grilling recipes up, and this recipe is about the easiest and healthiest of my shrimp tacos. I prefer to post healthy recipes in general and also so we’re not eating scones and cupcakes and fried things too often on recipe testing days. In addition, making recipes that are healthy, fresh, and flavorful is the way I cook and my philosophy in food! Crispy, fried shrimp tacos will show up here one of these days, though probably in the company of a pile of vegetables, or with an awesome fruit salsa. Like this one.
– Happy Eating, Annemarie
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 8 soft taco sized tortillas
- 1 recipe tangy lime avocado crema
- For spicy shrimp, combine shrimp and all other spicy shrimp ingredients in a bowl. Let the shrimp sit and marinate on the counter for 15 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, prepare all the mango salsa ingredients and mix them together. If you are having the avocado crema, make this now too.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once water sizzles when dripped in, add the shrimp and all the marinade to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently until the shrimp is pink and cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp to a bowl. Cook down the sauce until it's quite thick, 1 minute. Pour the thickened sauce over the shrimp.
- Serve the shrimp in the taco shells with the mango salsa and avocado crema.